- 1 loaf of ciabatta bread, cut lengthwise and in half depending on size
- 8 oz New York Strip
- 1/4 cup arugula
- 1.5 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 12 ozs sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon of steak juices (Or 1 tablespoon of beef broth)
- Slice half a red onion thinly and cook in a pan on medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt. Be careful not to burn the onions and turn down the heat to avoid if needed. Half way through add red wine and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to stir and cook down onions until they are full caramelized about 30-40 minutes.
- Sauté mushrooms on medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil then add salt and cracked black pepper to taste. Add in your soy sauce a minute before you are finished cooking the mushrooms. Cook until they are soft. About 5-10 minutes.
- Season your NY Strip steak with 1 teaspoon of salt and cracked pepper then reverse sear it. Start your grill or smoker at 250°F until the internal temperature reaches 15 degrees where you like your steak done. Then turn the grill to at least 500 °F or the highest you can go and sear for 1-2 minutes on each side until the steak is at your preferred doneness. I pull mine off at 130°F and rest for 10 minutes.
- Make your au poivre sauce by sautéing minced shallot and garlic with olive oil for 2 minutes until fragrant on medium heat. Next add bourbon and let that deglaze. Stir to make sure all ingredients are incorporated and add heavy cream and 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper. Also add the juices from your steak that has been sitting out to rest. You can use 1 tablespoon of beef broth if you don’t have enough steak juice. Reduce sauce by about 1/3 and remove from heat. The sauce should thicken some as it cools.
- Cut your ciabatta lengthwise and then in half to make a smaller portion. Then toast ciabatta bread in a pan with a little olive oil and add au poivre sauce on the bottom slice. Add arugula, sliced steak, caramelized red onions, sautéed mushrooms, more au poivre sauce and the top piece of bread.
- Slice bread in half again after the sandwich is assembled and share with a friend or just eat the whole thing!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: au poivre, steak, New York strip, steak sandwich