These spicy garlic parmesan chicken skewers are a must make on the grill! Packed with flavor, you have everything you could ever want from juicy chicken with crispy edges, roasted garlic, cheesy parmesan and a little heat. These are easy to make and well balanced. Serve them over rice or with your favorite sides and you have dinner in no time!
What kind of chicken to use for skewers?
For this recipe I like to use boneless skinless chicken thighs. Not only are they cheaper than chicken breast but a lot more flavorful and juicy. Dark meat always wins in my book. You can cook them to a higher temperature and the extra fat in the meat will keep the chicken moist and delicious.
Preparing the chicken
I cut the chicken thighs into one inch size pieces and place them into a bowl. There I drizzle on some olive oil and coat generously with bbq seasoning.
After the chicken thighs have been seasoned, it’s time to thread them onto wooden skewers. Pro tip, soak your skewers in water for 30 minutes beforehand so they do not burn on the grill. Also leave a little room at the bottom to hold the skewers and then thread them on top of each other.
Making the spicy garlic parmesan butter
To make the butter, simply add softened butter to a bowl and stir in the rest of the ingredients including chopped parsley, grated parmesan cheese, roasted garlic paste, salt, black pepper and buffalo sauce. If you want to make your own roasted garlic at home check out my recipe!
Save the butter for later as you will brush them onto the chicken skewers while they cook on the grill and reserve a little just before serving. Be sure to check out this cowboy butter recipe as well. It would go great on these!
Grilling spicy garlic parmesan chicken skewers
I’m grilling on a charcoal grill but gas or pellet would be fine! Whatever you are comfortable with. I think the charcoal does add extra flavor so keep that in mind if you want to go all out.
I heat my grill to medium high and place the skewers directly over the charcoal. Every few minutes rotate the skewers and continue cooking them. You want that nice golden brown color on the chicken with some crispy edges. That’s where the good stuff is.
I also like to throw a bit of mesquite wood towards the back of the grill to add a little smoke flavor but that’s optional.
Once they reach an internal temperature of 135°F, it’s time to start brushing on that delicious garlic parmesan butter. Just brush on the butter and rotate the skewers to make sure they cook evenly. I do this 2-3 times until the skewers reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
The chicken will absorb all of that buttery flavor and it will help make a beautiful color on the outside as well. Just be careful as the extra butter make cause some flare ups. If the grill gets too hot underneath from the flare ups, just move them over so they aren’t directly over the heat until you get it under control.
Once I remove the chicken from the grill, I brush with the butter sauce once more before serving. Then I serve the chicken over rice or with my favorite sides like easy homemade coleslaw or creamy mashed potatoes. You’ll want to make these skewers over and over again!
If you like this recipe check these out!
Are the chicken skewers spicy?
They have a little spice to them but nothing you can’t handle! The buffalo sauce is well balanced with the rest of the ingredients in the butter sauce. Opt for mild or skip if you don’t want any heat.
What’s the best type of chicken to use?
I like chicken thighs because they are juicier and have more flavor, but feel free to use chicken breast as well.
Can I make this in my oven or air fryer?
Absolutely! For either of those options, I recommend setting the temperature to 350°F. Just remove the chicken a time or two to brush on the butter and place back into the oven or air fryer to continue cooking.Print
- 4 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons bbq seasoning
Spicy garlic parmesan butter
- 1 stick softened unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic paste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut chicken thighs into 1 inch pieces. Place into a bowl and drizzle on olive oil and bbq seasoning.
- Mix chicken in the bowl with the olive oil and seasoning until well combined.
- Skewer chicken onto wooden skewers and set aside.
- Make spicy garlic parmesan butter by combining all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Heat your grill to medium high and grill skewers directly over heat, rotating every couple of minutes to make sure they are cooking evenly and not burning.
- Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 135°F start brushing on the spicy garlic parmesan butter mix. Do that a few more times until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove chicken from the grill, brush on butter mix once more before serving.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes before using to prevent them from burning too much on the grill.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Grilled chicken skewers, chicken skewers, spicy garlic parmesan chicken skewers, garlic parmesan chicken skewers