- 1 whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 stick of melted butter
- 3–4 tablespoons of chicken rub
- Spatchcock your chicken by removing the spine from the back using kitchen shear or a sharp knife. Cut along each side of the spine to remove. Then flip over and push down onto the breast bone to flatten.
- Once chicken has been spatchcocked, cover with olive oil as a binder and season on both sides with smoked chicken rub or seasoning of your choice.
- Place chicken onto a smoker at 300°F and cook until the internal temperature reaches 140°F.
- Increase the heat on your smoker to 375°F and baste with melted butter a few times until the internal temperature of the breast reaches 165°F. (The thighs should be reading 175°F)
- Remove the chicken from the smoker and let it reset for 10 minutes before carving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Main
- Method: Smoking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spatchcock chicken, smoked spatchcock chicken, smoked whole chicken, spatchcock chicken on pellet grill, spatchcocked chicken