This is a great side dish for any meal. Jalapeño and cheddar cornbread is the perfect balance of sweet and heat with cheesy bites of cheddar all throughout.
Cornbread is a staple in many households, especially in Southern cuisine. It is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a side with a hearty meal or on its own as a snack. While traditional cornbread is delicious, it can be a bit bland for those who enjoy a bolder flavor profile. That’s where jalapeño and cheddar cornbread comes in. The combination of spicy jalapeños and cheddar creates a delicious and unique twist on the classic dish. I especially like topping them off with a good drizzle of honey to finish for that sweet bite with a little kick.
In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make the perfect jalapeño and cheddar cornbread that’s both delicious and easy to make. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting out, this recipe is sure to be a hit with everyone in your family.
Why make this cornbread
- It’s a perfect Combination of Sweet and Spicy: The combination of spicy jalapeños and sweet honey creates a delicious and unique twist on traditional cornbread. This makes it a great option for those who like a little bit of heat in their food.
- It’s easy to Make: This recipe is simple and straightforward, making it a great option for both seasoned bakers and beginners.
- It’s Versatile: Jalapeño and honey cornbread can be enjoyed as a side dish with a hearty meal or on its own as a snack.
Making the cornbread
This recipe is as easy as it gets. We are starting with a box mixed of cornbread and then adding a few things to really kick it up a notch. I used a mix from Kodiak Cakes but Jiffy also makes a great boxed corn bread.
To start take your favorite box of cornbread mix and follow the instructions to make the batter. The Kodiak Cakes box mix specifically calls for 1 box of mix, 2 eggs, 2/3 cups of melted butter, and 1 3/4 cups of milk. Mix cornbread according to the box instructions then add diced jalapeños and cheddar cheese and pour the batter into a 9×12 baking dish or a 10 inch cast iron pan.
After you have poured your mixture into a pan or baking dish, top it with sliced jalapeños and a bunch of cheddar cheese. Then bake it in your oven at 350°F for about 30 minutes until it is cooked all the way through. Once the cornbread has cooled down enough to slice, cut them into cubes and drizzle honey all over.
That’s it! Your jalapeño and cheddar cornbread is now ready to enjoy. Whether you serve it as a side with a hearty meal or as a snack, this delicious dish is sure to be a hit with everyone.Print
- 1 box of cornbread mix (I use Kodiak Cakes)
- 3 diced jalapeños (with seeds removed)
- 1 jalapeño sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cups melted butter
- 1 3/4 cups of milk
- Deseed and dice 3 jalapeños and set aside
- Make your cornbread batter using the box instructions. (I used Kodiak cakes but use what your mix calls for if using something else!)
- Then add the 3 diced jalapeños and 1 cup of cheddar cheese into the batter. Stir to combine
- Pour batter into a greased 10 inch cast iron pan or 9×12 baking dish
- Top with 1 jalapeño that has been thinly sliced and the remaining cheddar cheese on top
- Cook cornbread according to box instructions (Mine was 350°F for 3o minutes)
- Cut cornbread into cubes and drizzle with honey all over
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cornbread, jalapeno and cheddar, cast-iron cornbread