Photos for this recipe are from Erin Hungsberg (IG: erin_hungsberg)
Smoked beef short rib sliders are a must make and unbelievable good! These beef ribs are seasoned, smoked and then braised with onions and beef broth until fall apart tender. Then they are shredded and layered onto Hawaiian rolls along with cheese and served with the beef drippings for the ultimate bite!
Ingredients you will need
Beef short ribs
Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
Beef rub (Or bbq seasoning)
Bun topping (Garlic paste, parsley, butter)
Au Jus seasoning packet
How to make smoked beef short rib sliders
First season the short ribs with a good beef rub. I have a great recipe for one that goes perfectly. Make sure to check it out here!
Make sure you add enough rub to cover all sides of the meat.
Once seasoned smoke at 250°F for about 4 hours or until the beef ribs reach an internal temperature of 175°F.
By now you should have a good bark and the bone from the short ribs should be pulling away from the meat.
Then place the beef ribs in an aluminum pan and add sliced onions, beef broth, and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Cover the foil pan and place back into your smoker for an additional 2 hours or until the beef ribs are around 205°F and fall apart tender.
Remove the bones, reserve broth and onions, then shred beef ribs. Slice your Hawaiian rolls in half (lengthwise) then assemble the sliders.
Start with a layer of Swiss cheese, short ribs, Swiss cheese, and the onions from the foil pan which should be nice and soft. Then place the top buns back on. These are going to be extra cheesy!
To finish brush on some garlic and herb butter onto the top buns and place them back into your smoker or oven to melt the cheese and toast the buns. I just place them into a 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
I think the results speak from themselves! Tender beef short ribs with the savory onions, melted Swiss and delicious Hawaiian rolls are next level good. I take an Au Jus packet and mix it with some of the beef drippings for dipping. It’s so good!
If you like sliders or sandwiches make sure to check out these recipes below:Print
- 4 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 pack of Hawaiian Sweet rolls
- 3 tablespoons of beef seasoning
- 2 medium yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of salt, pepper, garlic mix
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 12 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1 packed of au jus seasoning
Garlic herb butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste (or minced garlic)
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Season short ribs with beef rub then smoke at 250°F for 4 hours or until ribs reach an internal temp of 175°F. (Please note times may vary a little)
- Place beef ribs into an aluminum pan and add sliced onions, beef broth and season with salt, pepper, garlic. Place back onto your smoker for an additional 2 hours or until the beef short ribs are 205°F internal and fall apart tender.
- Remove bones from ribs, reserve broth and onions, then shred beef ribs.
- Slice Kings Hawaiian rolls lengthwise, then assemble sliders with one layer of Swiss cheese, the shredded beef, one more layer of cheese and onions.
- Place the top buns back on and brush with garlic herb butter. Then bake or place back into your smoker for an additional 15 minutes at 350°F to melt the cheese and toast the buns.
- Mix 1/2 cup of the reserved beef broth with au jus seasoning packet for dipping (optional).
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Main
- Method: Smoking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Beef short rib sliders, Smoked beef short rib sliders, beef short rib sandwich, beef short ribs, Beef rib sliders