I’m pretty much obsessed with sliders. I’ve made dozens, if not hundreds of them and they never disappoint. These roast beef and cheddar sliders are one of my favorites, not only as the perfect appetizer and party food but also as an easy dinner recipe during busy weeknights.
Loaded with tender roast beef and covered with cheddar cheese and caramelized onions, this cheddar roast beef sliders recipe is simple, easy, and utterly delicious. The tops of the rolls are brushed with butter and everything bagel seasoning which makes for the perfect topping. Definitely one of the best slider recipes out there!
Ingredients you will need for roast beef and cheddar sliders
- Sweet Hawaiian rolls or slider buns
- Roast beef (Homemade is great too)
- Sliced cheddar cheese
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Yellow onion
- Your favorite bbq sauce
Caramelizing your onions
If you’re not a big fan of onions, you can skip them but I beg you not to! Simply take thin sliced yellow onions and sauté them over medium-low heat with a little olive oil. Season them with a pinch of salt and cracked black pepper. The onions will start to soften and turn brown, getting caramelized and delicious. By making your onions this way, they just add so much more flavor to the overall dish. After about 20-30 minutes, you will have the best onions ever. If you want a more in-depth look at caramelizing onions, I recommend this recipe.
Slicing your Hawaiian Sweet rolls
Making these oven-baked sliders is really easy and rewarding because the end result is super delicious! The first thing you will need to do is take a pack of Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls and split them in half lengthwise. To do this, I take a bread knife or any serrated knife and carefully cut through one end all the way through to the other side.
Try your best to make a nice level cut so you have equal portions of bread on top and bottom. This is probably the hardest part of the entire process of making these Hawaiian roll sliders. Take your time and go slow.
Assembling the roast beef and cheddar sliders
Once you have cut through the Hawaiian rolls, add slices of cheese on the bottom followed by a layer of your favorite bbq sauce. One of my favorite sauces is the Blues Hog brand.
Next, add your deli roast beef slices. I like to add a few layers of roast beef so my sliders are nice and meaty. We may not be Arby’s but we still have the meats! Then I add caramelized onions right on top of that followed by more cheddar cheese slices.
Place the top buns back on being careful to keep them all in one piece. Then brush on some melted butter on top of the rolls and sprinkle on everything bagel seasoning. These two will give the buns a nice golden color, crunch, and flavor!
Finish by placing the sliders into your oven at 350°F for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted through and the buns are toasted golden brown.
These roast beef and cheddar sliders are truly so good! The combination of roast beef, cheddar cheese, caramelized onions, and toasted buns work in harmony to give you the perfect bite. Try these cheese sliders at your next get-together, game day, or any night. This is definitely one of my favorite recipes and I hope you will love them as much as I do.
- Cheese: Don’t have cheddar? Try using other melty cheese like mozzarella, pepper jack, or Swiss cheese instead!
- Sauce: Make your own BBQ sauce using ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar, or switch things up with a creamy horseradish sauce, a Dijon mustard sauce, or even a cheese sauce.
- Butter mixture: For a little more flavor, combine butter with some garlic or onion powder, Italian seasoning, or even some freshly chopped herbs like rosemary or thyme.
Love sliders and sandwiches? Give these a try:
- Easy chopped Italian grinder slider
- French dip sliders with au jus
- Chopped chicken bacon ranch sub
- Grilled shrimp po boy with remoulade
- 1 package of Kings Hawaiian Sweet rolls
- 1 pound of roast beef (Or more if you like it really meaty)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 12 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon of everything bagel seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut yellow onion into thin half moon slices and sauté over medium low heat with olive oil for 20 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Once the onions are caramelized remove and set aside.
- Split your Hawaiian rolls lengthwise with a bread knife and set bottom rolls onto a baking sheet.
- Add 6 slices of cheddar cheese to the bottom rolls followed by a layer of your favorite bbq sauce.
- Add slices of roast beef and caramelized onions on top of that.
- Add 6 more slices of sliced cheddar cheese followed by the top buns.
- Brush on melted butter on the top buns and sprinkle on an even layer of everything bagel seasoning.
- Place fully assembled sliders in your oven at 350°F for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted through and the bread is golden brown.
- Slice into individual sliders and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American