These loaded bbq chicken totchos are easy, cheesy, and full of flavor. Combining two of our favorite snacks—tater tots and nachos—this simple totchos recipe is the ultimate party appetizer, game day snack, or even a quick weeknight meal.
My version starts with a layer of tater tots, loaded with bbq chicken, melty cheese, pico de Gallo and pickled jalapeños. Then it’s finished with bbq sauce, sour cream, and green onions.
What are totchos?
When tater tots meet nachos, you get totchos. It is basically nachos made with tater tots instead of tortilla chips. You can load this hybrid with the usual nacho toppings, like cheese, tomatoes, jalapeños, and more.
Like tortilla chips, the crispy tater tots make the perfect vessel for your toppings, and when topped with melted cheese, bbq sauce, and sour cream, they’re downright irresistible!
Ingredients you will need
- Rotisserie chicken
- Frozen tater tots
- Monterey jack cheese
- Mild cheddar cheese
- Pico de gallo
- Pickled jalapeños
- Bbq sauce and sour cream
- Green onion and/or cilantro
How to make loaded bbq chicken totchos
Any tater tot fan will tell you that the key to a great totchos is getting those tots nice and crispy. But before anything, preheat your grill to 400 degrees. I’m using my Pitboss pellet grill because I love the extra flavor I get from the smoke. However, you can use an oven and these will be fantastic.
I like to spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray to ensure that the tots don’t stick. Then, spread a single layer of frozen tater tots and lightly spray them with cooking spray. Sprinkle with some salt or bbq seasoning if you want.
Grill the tots for 30-40 minutes, until they’re golden brown and crispy. Then remove from the heat and set aside. In this case the crispier the better as you need them to hold up to the other ingredients we are layering on top.
While the tots are cooking, prepare the chicken. I like to use rotisserie chicken just to make things easy, but you can grill some chicken ahead of time if you prefer. This is also a great way to get rid of some left overs.
Shred or chop up the chicken and toss with bbq sauce to coat evenly. Now, it’s time to assemble the totchos!
Top the crispy tots with the bbq chicken and spread it around evenly. Add shredded cheese like Monterey Jack and mild cheddar, along with the pico de Gallo and pickled jalapeños. Then cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Finally, drizzle the totchos with your favorite bbq sauce and sour cream. To finish, top them with some green onions or cilantro to pull everything together.
How to store
Transfer the leftover bbq chicken totchos to an airtight container and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat, you can pop them in a preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until they’re hot and crispy again.
- Buffalo chicken totchos: Ditch the bbq sauce and replace it with buffalo sauce. Add some blue cheese crumbles on top for a delicious twist.
- Different meat: Try this recipe with pulled pork, ground beef, or even turkey. It’s a great way to use up leftovers! You can even add crispy bacon bits.
- Spicy: Give your bbq totchos a kick with fresh jalapeños, or even hot sauce like sriracha or tabasco.
- Add veggies: Mix in some red onions, corn, black beans, or bell peppers for a nutrient boost.
- Cheese sauce: For extra cheesy goodness, serve your totchos with a side of queso.
What does totchos mean?
Totchos are a combination of two classic comfort foods: tater tots and nachos. It’s the perfect snack for game day, movie night, or just about any other occasion. The best part about totchos is that you can customize them however you like. Add whatever toppings you prefer and switch up the type of cheese for something new every time.
Why are my totchos soggy?
Your totchos might end up soggy if you don’t cook the tater tots long enough. In this recipe, we recommend cooking the tater tots for 30-40 minutes or until they’re nice and crispy, preventing them from becoming soggy when you add all the toppings later on. Overloading the dish with toppings can also transfer some moisture to the tater tots, so make sure to just add enough of each ingredient.
How to serve totchos?
Totchos are best served hot and fresh from the oven. Serve them as is or with a dollop of guacamole, salsa, or queso for dipping. They also pair well with burgers, sandwiches, or any of your favorite grilled meats.
Looking for more easy appetizers?Print
- 3 cups shredded or chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 32 ounce bag frozen tater tots
- 1 tablespoon salt or bbq seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup pico de Gallo
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños
- Green onion or cilantro for garnish
- Preheat your grill or oven to 400 degrees. Shred or chop rotisserie chicken and toss with 1/4 cup of bbq sauce.
- Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and spread frozen tater tots in an even layer on the sheet.
- Spray the tots with non stick cooking spray and season with salt or bbq seasoning.
- Cook on the grill for 30-40 minutes until tots are crispy and golden brown.
- Remove baking sheet from grill and evenly spread bbq chicken on top.
- Next top the chicken with pico de Gallo, pickled jalapeños and shredded cheeses.
- Return the totchos to the grill to cook for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is warmed.
- Before serving, top with extra bbq sauce, sour cream and green onions or cilantro.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Appetizer
Keywords: loaded bbq chicken totchos, bbq chicken totchos, loaded totchos, totchos, chicken totchos, smoked totchos, totchos appetizer