Grilled hot honey bbq wings are saucy and delicious. This simple recipe will transform your wing game for good!
I could eat chicken wings every day especially these grilled hot honey bbq wings. Wings are one of my favorite foods because they are affordable and can take on any flavor you put on them. For this recipe I grill my wings then I combine bbq sauce, garlic and hot honey to create a velvety and rich sauce to toss the wings in. This has quickly become one of my favorite recipes and always a winner with guests.
Getting your grilled wings crispy
There is nothing worse than a soggy wing with no crunch or texture. Fried wings are always a sure way to get a nice crunch but there are a few things you can do when grilling your wings to make sure they are crispy.
- Pat your wings dry and let them sit uncovered in your fridge for a few hours.
- Use a little cornstarch when you add your seasoning.
- Grill or cook your wings on high heat.
Seasoning your wings
To season my wings I separate the drums from the flats and place them all into a metal mixing bowl. Then I drizzle on some olive oil and add salt, pepper and garlic powder along with cornstarch. I mix all of that together in a bowl and try to make sure that every piece of chicken is equally covered.
After that I place the wings on the grill at a temperature between 350-400 degrees. The high heat really helps get the skin crispy and lock in all the juices. A couple flips of the wings and you can pull them off when they reach an internal temperature of at least 165. Since wings have a good amount of fat content on them, I like to take my wings to about 185 degrees. Even at this temperature they will not be overcooked.
Preparing the hot honey bbq sauce
Prepare the sauce by heating up a pan on medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and add your minced garlic and let them cook for about a minute. Once the garlic starts to slightly brown, turn the temperature on your stove to low and add your favorite bbq sauce and your hot honey. Stir all of this together until its well incorporated then shut off the heat.
Bring the sauce outside while your wings are about finished and just before you take them off, brush some on there. Flip them a couple of times as you baste them with the sauce.
Once the wings are at your desired temperature, bring them inside and toss them with extra sauce until every wing is nice and coated. Them all there’s left to do is enjoy! Serve them up with a cold drink and have extra napkins on hand. These are so good!Print
- 3–4 pounds of fresh chicken wings
- 1/2 cup of bbq sauce
- 1/4 cup of hot honey
- 2 tablespoons of SPG (Salt, Pepper, Garlic)
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- Add your wings in a mixing bowl and coat them with olive oil.
- Then season each wing with SPG and cornstarch.
- Once each wing is coated, place them on a grill that has be preheated to 350 degrees and continue to cook them flipping back and forth until they reach an internal temperature of atleast 165 degrees.
- Prepare the sauce by heating up butter and minced garlic in a pan on medium heat. Then add bbq sauce and hot honey. Stir to combine and remove off the heat.
- Brush the wings while they are still on the grill with the sauce and continue to cook them for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the wings off the grill, toss with extra sauce if desired and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American