This grilled Cajun chicken pasta is a flavorful and satisfying dish that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or a weekend entertaining friends.
This pasta is one of my all-time favorite dishes, and for a good reason. It is the perfect blend of bold Cajun spices, succulent grilled chicken, and tender pasta, topped off with a creamy sauce that brings it all together. It’s a great way to bring a restaurant-style dish to your kitchen table.
What is Cajun chicken pasta?
This is a dish that combines the bold flavors of Cajun cuisine with tender grilled chicken and al dente pasta. The chicken breasts are seasoned with Cajun spices then grilled to lock in all the flavors. Add that along with a creamy sauce made from heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and a little more Cajun seasoning. The addition of smoked chorizo really brings the whole dish together.
Where did Cajun Chicken come from?
I’ve come to appreciate the cultural significance of Cajun cuisine. The cuisine originated in Louisiana and is heavily influenced by French, African, and Native American cultures. It’s a cuisine that’s deeply rooted in history and tradition, and it’s a testament to the resilience and resourcefulness of the Cajun people.
Make your own Cajun Seasoning
This homemade Cajun seasoning recipe is the perfect blend of zesty, spicy, and savory flavors that are sure to kick any dish up a delicious notch. Most of the ingredients to make Cajun seasoning is usually readily available at home. If you don’t have time to make your own, store bought is perfectly fine and honestly both are equally delicious.
To start, mix 3 tbsp smoked paprika, 2 tbsp fine kosher salt, 2 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp ground black pepper, 1 tbsp ground white pepper, 1 tbsp onion powder,1 tbsp dried oregano, 1tbsp cayenne, and 1/2 tbsp dried thyme in a bowl. You can store this seasoning in a sealed container for up 6 months.
How to make cajun chicken pasta
To make grilled Cajun chicken pasta, start by drizzling on some olive oil to your chicken breasts. Next, season your chicken breast with homemade or store-bought Cajun seasoning.
Next, grill the chicken breasts on medium high heat until they are cooked through and have a nice char on the outside. You can also sear your chicken on the stove top or even bake if you prefer that option.
Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, let them rest for a few minutes before slicing into them. Grill the smoked chorizo or sausage at the same time.
While the chicken is cooking, prepare the pasta according to the package instructions. You can use any type of pasta you like, but penne or fettuccine works well with this dish. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
To make the creamy sauce, melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and sauté for a minute until fragrant. Then add heavy cream, Cajun seasoning, and grated Parmesan cheese. Stir well until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
Add the cooked pasta, sliced chicken, and sliced chorizo to the skillet. Then toss until everything is well combined. If the sauce is too thick, you can thin it out with a little bit of chicken broth or pasta water.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot. Serve it up with your favorite sides and some buttery rolls or garlic bread. Now we’re taking!
Here are a few variations to try:
- Shrimp and Sausage: Add cooked shrimp and sliced andouille sausage to the skillet along with the chicken or you can substitute shrimp for chicken.
- Creamy Tomato: Add a can of diced tomatoes to the skillet along with the heavy cream and chicken broth for a tangy, creamy sauce.
- Different types of sauce: Instead of a creamy sauce, you can make a tomato-based sauce with diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and Cajun spices. This version of the dish is called Cajun chicken pasta with tomato sauce and is just as delicious as the creamy version.
- Spicy: Add a diced jalapeño pepper or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the skillet along with the Cajun seasoning for an extra kick of heat.
Grilled Cajun chicken pasta is a filling and satisfying dish that can be enjoyed for any occasion. With a creamy sauce and bold flavors, it’s sure to become a family favorite. Whether you’re cooking for a weeknight dinner or a special occasion, this recipe is a winner. Trust me, if you love pasta and love Cajun flavors, you are going to make this all the time. Try it out and let me know what you think!
Love Cajun food? Try these recipes:Print
- 1 pound of linguine pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 links of smoked chorizo or sausage
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat
- Season the chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning on both sides
- Grill the chicken for 6-8 minutes per side, or until it is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165°F. You can also cook the chorizo or sausage at the same time.
- While the chicken and sausage are cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook your linguine according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Cut your chicken breast and chorizo into bite sized slices.
- In a large pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant. About 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add heavy cream and Parmesan Cheese. Then mix well until combined. Cook for about a minute until the sauce is thickened slightly. Add a tablespoon of the cajun seasoning to the sauce and mix again.
- Add the chicken, sausage and pasta to the pan. Stir everything together to combine, making sure the sauce is covering everything.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and additional parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Main
- Method: Grilling
Keywords: Cajun chicken pasta, creamy cajun chicken pasta, pasta, cajun chicken