If you’re bacon obsessed like me, you need to try this easy bacon jam. It’s flavor packed and will level up any dish. Guaranteed!
Looking to experiment with new and exciting flavors? Bacon jam is the real deal. It’s a quick and effortless way to impress your guests with a burst of flavor. Even if you’ve never tried it before, you’ll be amazed at how effortless it is to whip up. A few simple ingredients can make a lasting impression on your taste buds!
What is bacon jam?
Bacon jam is a spreadable condiment made from bacon, onions, brown sugar, vinegar, and maple syrup. The bacon is fried until crispy then mixed with the other ingredients and cooked down until the mixture becomes thick and spreadable.
The result is a rich and savory spread that has a sweet and smoky flavor, with a slightly crunchy texture from the crispy bacon pieces.
Ingredients you will need:
- Bacon – Everything with bacon is better
- Yellow onion– When cooked down, onions become soft and tender, which helps create a smooth and spreadable texture for the jam
- Brown sugar– Provides sweetness and helps thicken the jam as it cools
- Maple syrup – Another layer of sweetness and syrupy texture
- Apple cider vinegar – The tang of the vinegar cuts through the sweet and savory notes
- Garlic – Gives great depth of flavor and aroma
- Cayenne pepper – A pinch of heat to balance the sweet jam
What to use bacon jam on
Cheeseburgers are my absolute favorite way to use the jam. Top a juicy cheese burger with it and your eyes will roll back when you take the first bite.
Toast with bacon jam is awesome. Skip the strawberry jam or butter, go straight for the good stuff.
Melted brie covered in bacon jam makes for an amazing dip. Serve it with some crackers or bagel chips and make it the star of your next charcuterie board.
How to make bacon jam
First dice up a 1/2 lb of bacon and fry on medium high heat in a cast iron pan. Once the bacon gets crispy, remove from pan and set aside.
Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease and add your diced yellow onions. Sauté the onions until they are soft and add minced garlic. Then continue cooking for another minute.
Turn the heat down to medium low and add brown sugar, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and the bacon you previously cooked. Mix well together to combine.
Continue to simmer and cook down the jam for 15 minutes. You should see the jam thicken as it cooks. Finish with a pinch of cayenne pepper. The jam will thicken even more as it cools down.
Bacon jam is so delicious because it hits all the right notes in terms of taste, texture, and versatility. It’s a condiment that can be used in so many ways, adding a rich and savory flavor to any dish it’s paired with. If you are looking for a recipe that really packs a punch, this is the one!Print
- 1/2 pound of diced bacon
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (Optional)
- Heat up a cast iron pan to medium high heat and fry diced bacon until crispy.
- Remove bacon and set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in pan.
- Sauté diced yellow onions in pan until soft. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Turn heat to medium low and add apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, brown sugar, and the reserved crispy bacon. Add a pinch of cayenne (optional). Cook down for 15 minutes.
- When the jam is at your desired consistency remove from heat and let cool. As the jam cools it will get even thicker.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Jam
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Bacon jam, bacon, condiment, jam