The perfect appetizer, these cornbread cupcakes with mashed potatoes are fully loaded and packed with flavor. If you are looking for something a little different, with familiar flavors, this is it. The cornbread muffins are sweet and savory and the mash potatoes are loaded with bacon and cheddar cheese. Talk about carb heaven. How could you go wrong with this?
What you need to make these
Cornbread muffin mix: Jiffy is my favorite boxed mix to use but if you have your own recipe feel free! The Jiffy brand only requires milk and eggs!
Mash potatoes: Make your own instead of using the instant stuff. Recipe will be below!
Crispy bacon: Chop your bacon first and place in a hot pan to get crispy
Cheddar cheese: Feel free to use other cheeses but cheddar is great with potatoes
Muffin pan: Just pour the cornbread mix right into these to get the perfect cupcake shape. I recommend using cupcake liners for that classic look and to keep things clean.
Making the cornbread muffins
To make the cornbread cupcakes I use a box mix from Jiffy, but you can use any brand that you prefer. If you have a homemade recipe, go for it! I keep it simple here with the boxed stuff as it’s pretty good!
Follow the box instructions which requires milk and eggs, mix together, and pour the batter into a muffin pan lined with cupcake liners.
Bake the cornbread in the oven at 400°F for 15-20 minutes or until cooked all the way through and golden brown.
Just before removing the cupcakes from the oven I like to place a little shredded cheddar cheese on top which will form a nice cheese crust.
Making the mashed potatoes
To make mashed potatoes , first wash your potatoes, then peel them. I like to use Yukon gold potatoes as they mash really well and their texture is perfect. After the potatoes are peeled, cut them into quarters.
Then bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the potatoes into the boiling water and let them cook for 20-30 minutes or until they are fork tender. After the potatoes are nice and tender, carefully strain the water. Then place the potatoes into a large bowl and mix in sour cream, milk, and butter. Mash everything together with a potato masher until it reaches your desired consistency. You can also use a mixer or a food processor to incorporate everything together.
Some people like their mashed potatoes more chunky but for this recipe I recommend you mix until a smooth consistency making sure there are no lumps. Make sure you season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. I also like to garnish with chives.
See my creamy mashed potato recipe for more details!
Assembling cornbread cupcakes with mashed potatoes
Once you have your ingredients together the assembly goes fast. Place your mashed potatoes in a piping bag so you can pipe them onto each cornbread cupcake. These make for an awesome presentation and resemble cupcake icing.
All there is left to do is top your cupcakes with crispy bacon bits and shredded cheddar cheese for one amazing appetizer! Serve these at a party or your next game night and these will be devoured in no time.
Want more bacon recipes? Gives these a try!Print
For the cornbread cupcakes
- 2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread muffin mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cups milk
For the mashed potatoes
- 3 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
For the topping
- 1/2 pound crispy bacon crumbles
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- chives (optional garnish)
To make cornbread cupcakes
- Use 2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread muffin mix, along with 2 eggs and 2/3 cup of whole milk. Mix together to incorporate well.
- Carefully scoop batter into a lined muffin pan. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake cornbread at 400°F for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown and cooked all the way through.
To make mashed potatoes
- Wash and peel your potatoes, then quarter them.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and place potatoes carefully in.
- Cook potatoes for 20-30 minutes until they are fork tender and can easily be mashed.
- Strain the water from the potatoes and leave them in the same pot you cooked them in.
- Into the pot add 2/3 cup whole milk, 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 cup of sour cream, and 1 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and. garlic powder. Mash or mix potatoes well until all ingredients are combined and you have a smooth consistency.
To make the topping
- Dice a half pound of bacon and fry on medium high heat until crispy. Drain grease.
- If using block cheese, shred with a grater.
- Chop chives for garnish.
- Place mashed potatoes in a piping bag with a star tip.
Assembling the cornbread cupcakes with mashed potatoes
- Remove cornbread cupcakes from muffin pan.
- Pipe mashed potatoes on top to resemble a cupcake.
- Top with crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and chives.
- You can also take a torch to the tops to melt the cheese and give the potatoes a little crust on the outside.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cornbread cupcakes, Cornbread muffins, Cornbread cupcakes with mashed potatoes