As a lover of burgers and all things bacon, this bacon jam burger recipe has quickly become one of my favorite dishes to make at home.
There’s just something about the combination of a juicy beef burger patty, melted cheese, and sweet and savory bacon jam that makes my mouth water every time. I was a bit skeptical when I first heard about the idea of bacon jam. I couldn’t quite wrap my head around the concept of spreading jam made from bacon onto a burger. However, after giving it a try, I quickly realized that bacon jam is next level!
What is Bacon jam?
Bacon jam is exactly what it sounds like: a spreadable condiment made from bacon, onions, sugar, and other savory ingredients. The result is a sweet and salty jam perfect for spreading on toast, bagels, and of course, burgers. If you want to take a deeper dive into my bacon jam recipe check it out here!
The idea of putting bacon on a burger is not new. In fact, many restaurants have been serving bacon burgers for years. However, the addition of bacon jam takes this classic combination to a whole new level. The jam adds a unique flavor profile to the burger that is both sweet and savory. It also provides a juicy texture that pairs perfectly with the meaty flavor of the beef patty.
How to make bacon jam
To make my bacon jam, I start by dicing half an onion and half a pound of bacon, then saute the bacon in a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat until it is crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and set it aside on a paper towel-lined plate or small bowl to drain the excess fat. If you have a slotted spoon, that also helps to remove some of the bacon fat as you remove it from the pan.
Now in the same pan, drain some of the bacon fat then add the diced onion and cook until it is caramelized and browned. Add minced garlic, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and maple syrup along with the crispy bacon. Some recipes call for balsamic vinegar but I love the addition of apple cider vinegar instead! This is also optional but add a pinch of cayenne pepper to balance the sweetness. I let this mixture simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the bacon jam is thick and spreadable.
Tips for cooking the best burgers
- Start with good quality meat: The foundation of a great burger is the meat, so choose fresh, high-quality beef with a high-fat content. I like an 80/20 blend.
- Keep it simple: Don’t overdo it with seasonings or fillers. The key to a great burger is the flavor of the meat itself.
- Don’t overwork the meat: When forming the patties, avoid overworking the meat. Use a light touch to form the patties, and make them slightly larger than the bun to account for shrinkage during cooking.
- Let it rest: After cooking, let the burger rest for a few minutes to allow the juices to redistribute. This will keep the burger juicy and prevent them from becoming dry.
Cooking the burgers
While the bacon jam is cooking, I prepare my burger patties. I typically use ground beef that is 80% lean and 20% fat for the juiciest results. I season the patties with salt, black pepper, and a bit of garlic powder, then cook them on a hot grill or a large skillet until they are cooked to medium about 150°F. A good instant read thermometer will make sure your beef patties are cooked to perfection.
Add a slice or two of cheddar cheese and let it melt on top. Don’t forget to toast your brioche bun too!
Assembling your bacon jam burgers
Once the burger patties are cooked, I assemble my bacon jam burger. Now you can add whatever toppings that you like to this burger. I try not to overload it as the jam has so much flavor you really want it to shine!
I start by spreading a little mayo on the bottom bun, a piece of fresh lettuce, the beef patty with melted cheddar cheese and a generous amount of warm bacon jam. Then just place the top bun on and dig right in!
The result is a burger that is bursting with flavor and texture. The sweet and savory bacon jam adds a depth of flavor that is unmatched by any other burger topping, while melted cheese and juicy burger provide the perfect balance of saltiness and richness. The fresh greens and creamy mayo help to cut through the richness of the burger and provide a refreshing contrast to the meaty flavors.
What I love about this recipe
One of the great things about this bacon jam burger recipe is that it can be easily customized to suit any taste preferences. If you like a spicier burger, you can add some diced jalapenos or hot sauce to the bacon jam. If you prefer a sweeter burger, you can add more brown sugar or honey to the jam. You can also experiment with different types of cheese, such as blue cheese or smoked gouda, to change up the flavor profile. This bacon jam makes the best burgers ever!
How to store
I’ve made this burger for myself for a quick lunch, and I’ve also made it for large groups at backyard barbecues. The bacon jam can be made in advance, stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge for up to a week.
Make sure to warm up the jam before serving as it will be very thick once it has been refrigerated.
This bacon jam burger recipe is a true a winner in my book. It combines some of my favorite ingredients into one delicious and satisfying meal that is sure to please any burger lover. Whether you’re cooking for yourself or for a crowd, this recipe is easy to make, customizable, and always a hit. This could be the best burger you ever make, so give this recipe a try and see for yourself.Print
For the bacon jam
- 1/2 pound of bacon chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (Optional)
For the burger
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 brioche buns toasted
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- Lettuce for each burger (Optional)
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise (Optional)
- To make the bacon jam, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and cook until crispy, stirring occasionally. Remove the bacon from the skillet and drain the excess grease from the pan. (Leave about 1 tablespoon of grease)
- In the same skillet add the diced onion and cook until caramelize and browned stirring occasionally.
- Once the onions are cooked through, add minced garlic for about a minute and cook together. Then add brown sugar, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar. You can also add a pinch of cayenne pepper to balance the sweetness.
- Stir to combine all the ingredients and let the mixture simmer on low heat for about 10-15 minutes until the jam starts to thicken. Shut off the heat and let it continue to cool off. It will thicken even more as it does so.
- Next form 1/4 lb patties with the ground beef and season them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Heat up your grill to medium high heat and cook the burgers until they are to your level of desired doneness. (I like about 150°F internal)
- Add a slice of cheddar cheese to each burger and toast your buns on the grill.
- Assemble the burgers with the toppings that you like. I add mayo to the bottom bun, lettuce, a cheeseburger patty and a generous heaping of bacon jam.
- Serve the bacon jam burgers immediately and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American